This week the University Botanical Garden in Balchik celebrated its 67th anniversary. On 26 of July 1955, the garden was established on the territory of the former summer residence of the Romanian Queen by order of the Minister of Culture and Education and under the guidance of the famous Bulgarian botanist scientist Academician Daki Yordanov.
Today, this pearl of the Black Sea, as part of the University Botanical Gardens of Sofia University “St. Kliment Ochridski – Sofia, Varna and Balchik is a member of the World Botanic Gardens Council (BGCI), the European Botanic Gardens Consortium (EBGC), the Botanic Gardens Environmental Education Network (EBGEN), the International Council on Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS).
Since 1956, it has published its IndexSeminum annually and participated with its collections in seed exchanges with botanical gardens around the world. It has been designated as a rescue centre under the Washington CITIES Convention, which controls trade in rare and endangered species. In 2005, it was designated a protected area under the Protected Areas Act, and was awarded the Order of Cyril and Methodius, 2nd Class for its services to the promotion of the achievements of biological science.
In 2020, the Botanical Garden launched a virtual tour with the filming of the “Tulip Parade”, the nursery garden and the “Divine Garden”. A botanical gallery, including scientific illustrations of plant families, was also launched.